Monday, September 17, 2012

No experience? No problem!

I had coffee with a friend this past weekend and when I told her my 17 year old daughter just started her first job she said “I’ve been trying to get my 16 year old son to find a job and he can’t. How did she get past the online application process?”

Tip of The Day
Not having experience does not necessarily translate into not having a job.

My daughter has no work experience.  She did, however, follow my detailed instructions for how to find a job.  Each day, for two weeks this past summer, I gave her “Finding a Job Homework”.  It included things like call and follow up on your application with Pizza Hut, drop off a Thank-You note for your Safeway interview last week, print off 10 copies of your resume, peruse craigslist for all jobs in Sherwood (where we live) and make a list of those you are qualified for.  (Regardless of interest or availability)

For teenagers, staying focused is a real challenge.  (For that matter, many adults are also challenged to stay on task when it comes to doing something they’re unfamiliar or uncomfortable with.)   Every time she would complain I would tell her that she cannot grow without feeling nervous, and she needed to stretch herself beyond her immature and self-imposed limits.  (Yes, I talk to my daughter like that)

Can I say it again?  It’s true, my Conquering Unemployment ideas do work and tenacity will even overcome inexperience.  (Within two weeks she had a job!)  Her resume was polished, we practiced interviewing, she dressed appropriately for the interview, she showed up on time, and asked valid questions.  She was hired for seasonal support at a local craft store and is amongst the youngest, if not THE youngest, employee at that store.

Even if you have no experience, but a lot of passion, show up!  If you have lots of experience but are nervous, fake it!  If you’re interviewing in a new industry or for a job you’re not sure you can do, focus on your cross-over strengths and skills. (basic things like organization, typing, ten key, computer skills, excellent references, a good GPA, etc… are great to have regardless of the job title.)

Last night she came home after working 6 hours and said “Now I know why you don’t want to do anything when you come home from work!”  She immediately went upstairs and put on an oversized tee shirt and baggy shorts. (LOL!) Rarely do I get to bask in the glow of being a parent and know that they’re finally getting it.  Today I get to smile, however, and know that this will not be the last time when one of my children expresses their appreciation (even if passively) for my parenting efforts.

Parenting is REALLY hard work.  It’s just too bad it doesn’t pay so well…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have suggestions for subjects that you'd like to see covered in this blog? Do you have comments or feedback about the content or format of this blog? Anyone can comment! Please feel free to do so! (and...THANK YOU!)