Monday, June 6, 2011

Day One - Inspiration

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I've been unemployed...a lot.  That's the bad news.  The goods news is that...I'm really good at it.  I've even seriously thought about writing a book about how to survive unemployment.  It would give my readers tips and tricks that I use to save money, get organized, and stay sane in the process. So, in preparation for that creative eventuality, I've decided to blog about my experiences of being unemployed. 

Call it "Research",
or "Therapy",
or maybe just "A Less Than Secret Attempt At Stroking My Very Bruised Ego". 
But here it is. 
My first blog.

Unemployement has so many facets that, for the most part, remain unaddressed by the general media.  It affects so many areas of life.  For example, I used to have someplace to go every weekday morning, now I don't.  The audible  "You've Got Mail" notice on my computer annoyed my coworkers over 100 times a day.  Now I receive...maybe...five emails a day, mostly from people who feel sorry for me.  (unless you count the spam, which I don't, because it's just plain irritating)  Buying a $4 Vanilla Latte was a frequent social engagement.  Now it's a guilt inducing indulgence which I cannot justify more than once a week.  Sigh...

This blog was inspired by the book Julie and Julia, which I literally finished reading this morning.  In it, Julie, blogs about her experience of cooking her way through a French cookbook.  I won't spoil it for you but mayhem and opportunities abound for the once unknown young wife amongst the sea of people that is, New York City. 

Mayhem?
Opportunities? 
That sounds like FUN to me!

So, welcome to my world, my self imposed writing assignment.  Here I'll share my deepest darkest secrets about everything from Interview Fashion to Super Cheap Chili Recipies.

Please, seriously, tell me what you think...of my writing, my advice, my perspective.  Feel free to share your networking tips and tricks, your frustrations; and, most importantly, your personal advice for myself and others who struggle with the hell that is, Unemployment.

In closing, here is one of my favorites quotes:
"I have no problem with self esteem.  I think I'm freakin' fabulous! 
My problem is that I can't find anyone to agree with me."

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    Hi! Who's the awesome quote by?

    You should link to your other book(s) so when someone finds you here they might order your book... I thought the illustrations were great. Course I still haven't gone out to get my black skirt. Hmmm... Maybe when I'm there NEXT MONTH!

    All the best,
    Janene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you michelle, I remember when you came up with this idea. All the best! M

    ReplyDelete

Do you have suggestions for subjects that you'd like to see covered in this blog? Do you have comments or feedback about the content or format of this blog? Anyone can comment! Please feel free to do so! (and...THANK YOU!)