Sunday, July 3, 2011

De-clutter your Job Search

Have you ever watched those shows on cable TV where a family dumps the entire contents of their house on the front lawn and then, only the items which the host deems are absolutely necessary or truly loved, are allowed back in? I LOVE those shows but, then again, I'm kind of an Organization Junkie. You won't find everything in my house in perfect order, by any means, but I feel so much better about life and myself in general when everything HAS a place and everything is IN it's place.

One of the things I love most about being unemployed is having the time to get projects done and, room by room reorganizing is definitely towards the top of my list. If you're thinking of starting an organization project of your own, I would strongly suggest starting with your job search. Organizing the tools you need to find a job, having them all in one place, within arms reach, and easily accessible; will make your job search easier, less stressful and take a lot less time.

Tip of the Day
An organized space will make you feel better about yourself and create less stress in your life!

Your Computer – I have an appointment next week at the Oregon Unemployment office and I will be required to show them evidence of my job search in order to continue receiving unemployment benefits. (getting that money is kinda' important since it helps my family eat!) That meeting, however, does not stress me out. I actually relish the opportunity to log onto my email and show them the folder marked “Job Search” with literally dozens, if not hundreds, of emails sent in response to job ads or as correspondence with recruiters and agencies. If you have not done so already, go through your email inbox as well as your computer's document folder and your computer's desktop to make it easier to find your resumes, cover letters, letters of recommendations, a list of your references, etc...

Your office – Even if you do not have a room designated as “an office” or even a desk, you can create an organized office with a large drawer or cupboard. WARNING: This project SUCKS! If you have not gone through your bills, tax returns, letters from the school, children's report cards, old resumes, and what ever mail and paperwork has been piling up....be prepared for a long day. Sit on the couch. Put your piles of papers on one side. Put a garbage can on the other side and a laundry basket. After your first sort, everything that's in the laundry basket then goes into a accordion folder or file box by category. Wine or beer and an entertaining movie will help you get through this project and if you don't have a hangover when you're done you'll feel sooooo much better!

Job Search Tools – I had an interview last week for a construction company. Knowing that construction experience was really important to them I opened my newly completed business card binder, easily and quickly located two business cards, and emailed those colleagues from my last $25M project and asked them for letters of recommendations. They both agreed and I showed up at that interview confident that my new prospective employer would be impressed with my resourcefulness. Damn! Even I was impressed with not only my resourcefulness but also how quickly and easily that particular task was completed! Several copies of your resume printed on nice paper, thank you cards with stamped envelopes, a half dozen “nice” pens, well organized business cards from colleagues and networking events, and your personal business cards should all be one place. A nice basket or bin does the trick and can be stored anywhere!

Not so long ago I organized my garage and got the kids involved. I gave my daughter a pen and paper and my son a tape gun. I opened each box, read off the contents, my daughter wrote them on a 8 ½ x 11 piece of paper, and my son taped the papers to the boxes. Those neatly stacked boxes now have a somewhat comedic reoccurring theme. Even today, reading the labels that read “Christmas crap”, “Painting crap”, “Tools and crap”, and “Garage Sale crap” makes me giggle.

Organizing doesn't always have to be boring, turn up the music, it might actually be a little fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have suggestions for subjects that you'd like to see covered in this blog? Do you have comments or feedback about the content or format of this blog? Anyone can comment! Please feel free to do so! (and...THANK YOU!)